Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, in partnership with sPower and Borrego Solar Systems, made the official swap to solar energy at a particular occasion to kick off the park’s 12th annual Vacation within the Park, the primary to be powered by renewable vitality. The occasion included remarks by Congressman Mike Thompson and Vallejo Mayor Bob Sampayan, who flipped the large, ceremonial swap, formally flipping the park to photo voltaic vitality, and turning on tens of millions of twinkling lights to the delight of everybody in attendance.
Shifting ahead, 80% of the park’s vitality utilization will probably be powered by one of many largest photo voltaic carport installations within the nation.
“We’re thrilled to be introducing the nation’s first photo voltaic powered Vacation within the Park occasions. The marvelous surprise of this particular time of 12 months actually comes alive in our parks with a smorgasbord of seasonal delights to see and expertise,” stated Senior Vice President of US Park Operations Tom Iven.
Key info concerning the photo voltaic set up
- 7.5 megawatt photo voltaic carport constructed over the primary visitor car parking zone;
- Producing 11.9 million kilowatt hours of vitality yearly;
- Will offset eight,400 tons of carbon dioxide equivalents every year, which is identical as taking 1,800 automobiles off the highway;
- The park will be capable to offset 80% of its vitality utilization with solar energy;
- Over 360 people have been employed in affiliation with the development of the mission;
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is the primary theme park on the West Coast powered by photo voltaic vitality; and
- The park will probably be house to one of many largest photo voltaic carport installations within the nation.