The brand new Robotiq ROS bundle is now obtainable! This is what you should know in regards to the bundle. What’s it? What does it embody? And what can it do for you?
The 3-Finger Gripper is certainly one of our most iconic merchandise. It turns up in groundbreaking robotic analysis tasks all around the world, from search and rescue robots to assistive service robots. For researchers — and, certainly, non-researchers — it provides a superb stability between ease-of-use and multi-fingered dexterity.
The Robotiq 3-Finger Gripper is a part of many groundbreaking robotic analysis tasks all around the world
The issue with analysis, nevertheless, is that you just all the time have to be on the bleeding fringe of expertise. You want to sustain with the latest robotic developments. You want to use essentially the most up-to-date management algorithms to make sure that you are not engaged on out-of-date expertise.
During the last 10 years, nothing has helped the unfold of robotic expertise greater than ROS. Every single day, it helps robotics researchers to keep away from “reinventing the wheel” and offers them entry to among the most superior performance that’s obtainable.
Now we have simply launched our updated ROS package, which incorporates particular modifications for our Three-Finger Gripper. Let’s take a look at what it’s, what it consists of, and what you are able to do with it.
What’s the cope with ROS?
In case you’ve gotten in some way missed it, this is a fast introduction to ROS.
Regardless of its identify — which stands for “Robotic Working System — ROS is just not an working system. As an alternative, it’s assortment of software program frameworks which sits on prime of the working system (primarily Linux). Via a set of primary packages, it offers the basic software program required to run a robotic system.
The true energy of ROS is that you may simply add superior performance to your robotic by putting in the related packages. You do not have to fiddle round for hours attempting to import libraries, decipher feedback, and write wrapper-code, as you probably did up to now. As an alternative, you may entry every bundle’s performance through a set of ordinary messages with out ever having to have a look at the underlying code. Our bundle means that you may get Robotiq merchandise up-and-running with ROS very, in a short time.
Do I would like ROS?
This can be a widespread query and the true reply is “It relies upon.”
If you wish to use the Three-Finger Gripper for industrial functions, it is doable that ROS is simply too difficult in your wants. For those who’ve by no means used it earlier than, ROS requires a little bit of a studying curve and its third-party packages will not be all the time steady sufficient for manufacturing environments (except they’re marked as “manufacturing” in the ROS Industrial package — which no firm has but achieved).
If you’re a researcher, nevertheless, our new ROS bundle might be a good suggestion. It lets you simply entry the Three-Finger Gripper’s superior performance, in addition to permitting you to manage our different grippers and pressure sensor. See our eBook Adaptive Robot Grippers in Robotic R&D Projects for examples of what different analysis teams have achieved with the Three-Finger Gripper.
The Kinetic launch: How distributions work
Our up to date bundle has been introduced up-to-date for the Kinetic Kame LTS launch of ROS, which was launched in 2016.
ROS distributions are launched yearly and are supported for 24 months. That is good as a result of it ensures that essentially the most up-to-date code is all the time obtainable. Nonetheless, additionally it is a ache. Typically, we wish extra a extra steady code-base to work from. ROS tackles this by releasing a Lengthy Time period Help (LTS) model each two years, that are supported for 5 years.
A brand new LTS distribution was launched this 12 months (Melodic Morenia LTS). Nonetheless, we have not up to date our ROS bundle for this model but. According to a recent survey, 85% of customers are utilizing the Kinetic Kame launch, and most of the people use the LTS distributions of ROS, not the bleeding edge model.
It takes time for folks to undertake new distributions of ROS, so we’re assured that the brand new Kinetic-compatible bundle will probably be appropriate for many of our customers for a few years at the least.
What’s new in regards to the Robotiq ROS bundle
On the floor, not a lot has modified in regards to the new ROS bundle. Many of the work has been executed behind the scenes to deliver the bundle up-to-date with the Kinetic launch.
Now we have additionally been engaged on some bug-fixes.
Nonetheless, we have now made one moderately massive change…
The packages have been renamed
Most likely the obvious change is that most of the bundle names have been up to date to match the true names of our merchandise. This could hopefully kind among the confusion that new customers used to really feel after they downloaded the bundle and weren’t certain which of them corresponded to their gripper.
Listed here are the most important identify modifications we have made:
- Beforehand: robotiq_s_model — Now: robotiq_3f_gripper — We have up to date the identify of all of the Three-Finger Gripper packages, which ought to save lots of the confusion in future brought on by the truth that we do not name it the “s mannequin” wherever else.
- Beforehand: robotiq_c_model — Now: robotiq_2f_gripper — Equally, the 2-Finger Grippers had been moderately confusingly referred to as the “c mannequin,” a time period which we do not use elsewhere.
- Beforehand: robotiq_arg2f_model — Now: robotiq_2f_140_gripper — The best way we used to distinguish between the 2F-85 and 2F-140 2-Finger Grippers was to name the 140 model the “arg2f.” I am certain many programmers shouted “aaarg” as they tried to work out what this meant. Now we have changed this with the clearer time period “2f_140.” Nonetheless, we’re nonetheless utilizing the time period “robotiq_2f_c2_gripper” as a result of this refers to an older model of our 2F-85 gripper.
- Beforehand: robotiq_force_torque_sensor —> Now: robotiq_ft_sensor — Lastly, we have now renamed the bundle for our FT300 Force Torque Sensor to be a bit shorter.
What functionalities can be found for the Three-Finger Gripper?
The Robotiq bundle consists of performance for all three of our grippers and the force-torque sensor. Nonetheless, as a result of the Three-Finger Gripper is the preferred amongst researchers we have now extra performance for this.
Listed here are the completely different packages which let you management the Three-Finger Gripper and simulate it utilizing the Gazebo simulator which is usually used with ROS:
- Articulated Gazebo (robotiq_3f_gripper_articulated_gazebo & plugins) — Masses up the articulated mannequin of the gripper into an empty Gazebo simulation.
- Messages (robotiq_3f_gripper_msgs) — Defines the enter and output messages for the gripper. There are 22 command values that you need to use within the enter, starting from setting the place to studying the present of a person finger, and 18 output values.
- Management (robotiq_3f_gripper_control) — That is the place all of it occurs. The varied enter and output values are grouped into simply usable instructions like “enter pinch mode”, “open”, “go to that place”, and so forth
- Joint state writer (robotiq_3f_gripper_joint_state_publisher) — This can be a required bundle which is utilized by Gazebo and different visualization instruments in ROS. joint_state_publishers merely convert the finger place into named joint values.
- Visualization (robotiq_3f_gripper_visualization) — This consists of the 3D fashions for the simulation.
With the brand new bundle, you may actually get a grip on the functionalities of the Three-Finger Gripper!