Folks usually surprise what makes my architectural design philosophy completely different from the remaining – till they stroll right into a constructing I’ve dropped at life. With each construction I design, whether or not it’s a single-family residence, nook café, or retail retailer, my aim is to create an atmosphere that attracts guests in, heightens their reference to an area and intuitively guides them by means of it.
I name this purposeful modernism.
Bridge House is one such instance, harmoniously built-in into its environment in order that it looks like an extension of the pure world that surrounds it.
Passive Design Lowers Power Use
For this mission, I needed to reimagine the high-tech, power intensive suburban residence. The kind you’ll discover in neighborhoods throughout the USA, with a standard entrance yard, predominant home, and again yard.
As an alternative of this conventional mindset, the 210-foot Bridge Home is a passive, energy-efficient trendy residence that bridges a small creek naturally operating by means of the property. It was my fierce intention to attain a low-carbon footprint with out sacrificing consolation, comfort, or creativity.
I really feel like I’ve attained this by means of intentional design. Like, incorporating floor-to-ceiling home windows in what would in any other case be a dimly-lit hallway. All through the house, pure gentle filters in throughout the day, decreasing the necessity for synthetic gentle that depends on electrical energy to shine. When nightfall approaches, a wise power electrical system is programed to show lights on and off in concord with the setting and rising of the solar.
Within the kitchen and the laundry room, ENERGY STAR certified appliances additionally assist save power by decreasing the quantity of electrical energy wanted to do their jobs. (Since we’re speaking laundry, do you know that 90 percent of the electricity in washing is used to heat water? Simply switching to chilly can save power – and cash.)
Talking of water, Bridge Home additionally options an entire residence water answer to make sure water is managed as neatly and sustainably as attainable.
Maximizing the house’s power effectivity from the beginning allowed me to then maximize the effectiveness of a high-efficiency solar power system. As a result of Bridge Home already requires such a minimal quantity of power, we have been in a position to set up a system that would meet 100 p.c of the house’s remaining power wants. With the glossy look of SunPower’s all-in-one Equinox solar solution, solely the floor of the panels is seen whereas precision mounting makes them appear as if they’re floating on the roof.
5 Methods to Inexperienced Your Dwelling
My hope is Bridge Home lovers take inspiration from its minimalistic design to inexperienced their present houses. Listed below are a couple of manageable steps that may allow you to stay extra consciously whereas saving money.
- Set up a wise thermostat. Arduous information and intuitive monitoring purposes have taken the guesswork out of discovering the proper temperature for Bridge Home. Preserving my residence, and my pockets, fairly cozy.
- Another – or an addition – to a wise thermostat can be automated blinds that may be timed to open or shut relying on the hour of day. In case you stay in a heat local weather year-round, for instance, you may program your shades to robotically shut throughout peak warmth intervals.
- I’m an enormous advocate of using a faucet attachment or pitcher that’s saved within the fridge for simply accessible filtered consuming water. Not solely will this cut back using plastic bottles, however it’s going to get monetary savings over time. (Do you know that 90 percent of the cost of bottled water is the bottle itself?)
- Transferring to the surface of the house, take into account landscaping with drought tolerant crops and permeable paving. It will cut back how a lot water you want, whereas utilizing it extra effectively.
- Lastly, in the event you thought of photo voltaic a couple of years in the past, it’s time to look once more as a result of loads has modified. In many geographies, prices have fallen 32 percent in the last five years and you may generate clear power at a value that’s lower than what you’d buy out of your utility firm.
It’s been an extended a number of years dreaming up and developing Bridge Home, however now that it’s full, I’m so proud to have a spot that demonstrates the true potential of sustainable residing – and hope it helps others notice how really lovely sustainable residing could be.
Go to Dan Brunn Architecture for extra on Bridge Home and different tasks designed with the utmost intention.
Curious what photo voltaic would appear to be by yourself residence? Go to the SunPower Design Studio for a customized system structure and financial savings estimate in underneath 30 seconds.